Silver Creek United Methodist Church was established in 1900 and still stands today as one of the oldest houses of worship in Parker County.
The church building itself was used for regular worship services until 1967 when a newer and larger sanctuary was built. The original structure was designated in 1983 as a recorded Texas Historical Landmark.
It was early in the year 1900 when Joseph Steele Sr. and Thomas Clayton each deeded one acre of land from their adjoining farms to the Central Texas Conference of what was then the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
The original frame sanctuary was constructed by members of the Silver Creek community who hauled lumber by wagon and team from Fort Worth. In later years, a porch was added to the church as well as a separate building to house the fellowship hall, kitchen, and three Sunday school classrooms. It wasn't until 1939 that the church was wired for electricity. It was heated by potbelly stove until butane was installed in 1946.
The church was dedicated in July 1901 by the Rev. James Campbell, presiding elder. The first sermon was preached by the Rev. W. A. Stevens.
This church was the first house of worship to be built in the Silver Creek area, and soon served the surrounding community as a place of worship, a community center for entertainment and socials, and was respected with pride by all those who entered its doors.
Soon after its dedication, the church's members constructed a brush arbor to house revivals during the hot summer months. A well was drilled near the arbor, and a pump installed.
The church and its members weathered the Great Depression of the 1930s and never closed its welcoming doors. For many years the church was served by a once-a-month circuit rider.
The Silver Creek community has grown since those days and the church is now a place of multiple facilities, but among all these wonderful modern improvements stands the original little white church.
This building, the land on which it stands, and the people involved in its progress represent the very backbone of religious growth in the entire area, and lends character and dignity to the continuity of this Methodist church organization.
Established on great tradition, Silver Creek United Methodist Church looks ahead with a grand vision for the future. God has blessed this congregation with many wonderful people who are committed to doing God's work in this community, and who have developed a new plan for doing that work. Silver Creek is currently looking at expanding its facilities, giving the church a new look for the new millennium and the ever-changing community. At the heart of the new construction will remain the faith and determination that has made Silver Creek a persistent reminder of God's Grace.